Zaytuna College Blog

The Purpose of Life in an Hour and a Half

Posted by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf on Dec 14, 2015 11:54:59 PM

Why would God, who needs nothing, create us to worship God, especially given that God has angels to do so and do so flawlessly? 

Given the choice, I would rather read a book than listen to a lecture. Books are wonderful companions: they offer their opinions, and if you disagree, they don’t seem to mind. I can reread when I find difficulty with what is written, and the book doesn’t think I’m stupid or get annoyed that I’m asking it to repeat itself, sometimes again and again. From a great author, I can acquire in a few hours what took him or her a lifetime of reflection and insight to realize. Despite that, on occasion, I have heard lectures that have moved me deeply. Recently, someone sent me a lecture insisting that I watch it. It was by an American convert to Islam (I don’t like the word “revert,” as we don’t revert to Islam; we convert – unless one was a Muslim, left it, and then returned), Dr. Jeffrey Lang, about the purpose of life. I found this lecture to be the most powerful I have ever heard from an American Muslim.

Read More

Topics: life purpose, purpose of life, life purpose and religion

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Posts by Topic

see all